Sep 12, 2008

We OFFICIALLY have an apartment!!

We signed our lease today for our Italian apartment! It was an interesting experience. The room was full of people. The landlord, the army lease negotiator, our two real estate agents, Reamer and me. It was an hours worth of talking and going over terms both in Italian and in English, but we finally finished signing and now we have our very own home! (sort of our own?!?)

We will be moving in on the 16th when they deliver our temporary army issued furniture! They are actually lending us a ton of furniture. (sofa, chair, table, coffee table, bed, two end tables, lamps, bookshelf, two wardrobes, china cabinet). Of course, the actual items aren't the most attractive things in the world. They are all in light wood and sort of remind me of furniture you would see in a dorm room. But they are just temporary until our stuff is delivered. We are going to try to keep a few pieces of furniture, but we will see if we are allowed to. I can't wait to finally get moved in. Our temporary goods have arrived and they will be delivered on the 17th, and Reamer will have his bike so that he can get to work! Hopefully it won't take very long before our household goods (furniture etc..) get here!

One interesting thing that I'm going to have to get used to is that we have a European washer and dryer. They are going to be super small and apparently they take FOREVER to do the job. Even all of the Europeans told us this. I was wondering to myself about this. If they know that the washer and dryers suck, why don't they just make it better?? It seems strange to me. But anyways time will tell how the laundry situation will work out. At least we have a washer and dryer, I probably shouldn't be complaining.

2 comments:

CAH said...

Yay you found a place!! I can't wait to see pictures. I hear you on the laundry situation. We have a full size unit but the dryer takes FOREVER!! They let us keep most of our government furniture (for the guest room) so hopefully they will with you too. But I agree, the color is u-g-l-y.

I can't believe Cam is about to be here. Hopefully you guys can come visit soon!

Uma and Wil said...

Hooray for a place of your own! As far as the government furniture is concerned, I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble keeping whatever you need. The ones we were stuck with when we first got here smelled like spoiled milk and I found myself choosing to sit on the floor a lot. We have full-sized washer and dryer that work well for us. I don't know if they will work just as well for whomever that will be stuck with them after we leave. It's never easy to get rid of dog hair...