Oct 30, 2008

Helping Eachother Cope

Meghan, I came across this entry just today -- I realize it is several months old. Tom is my brother. Tomorrow is one year since he was killed and I've been spending a lot of time googling his name and his handle "tommym1080" to read about him and find people like you who have been touched by his life. It helps this week -- which is very tough on all of us. Thank you for your post. And my best to you, your brave husband and your family. -Sarah


For anyone who has been reading my blog for a while, you may remember my post about LT. Tom Martin. If not, feel free to go back and read it again. It is listed as Tom's Ranger School Blog. Tom was killed in Iraq last Oct 14th. I just saw the comment on my old post from Tom's sister. It is amazing that she found my post and that now we are somehow connected. I'm glad that she found my blog and knows how sad I was to read about Tom's death. It is another reminder of the sacrifies that many soldiers and familes are making in this time of war. It shows us how many people are being affected through loss and suffering.

One of my new hobbies is to read the blogs of military spouses and families. You wouldn't believe how many blogs there are that are written by military spouses. I'm starting to believe that it is a condition of being a military wife. Reading these blogs helps me understand that the things I'm feeling are normal and Ok. Sometimes the stories and sadness are overwhelming and other times I feel supported by people that I don't even know. I think that blogging gives us an outlet to vent and read about the events in others lives. This brings us all closer together to not feel so lonely.

Here is a link to my previous blog http://meghanargo.blogspot.com/2008/06/toms-ranger-school-blog.html

2 comments:

Uma and Wil said...

I'm very sorry to hear about Lt. Martin. He sounded like he was a wonderful guy and a great soldier. The internet has really shorten the distance between all of us, which makes our military lifestyle slightly easier to live with. Most of my now close friends and fellow bloggers are military spouses. Nobody will understand what we are going through like our own. Others can empathize but they will never truly understand what it's like. My thoughts are with Lt. Martin's family and friends (and that includes you).

Anonymous said...

I also stumbled upon your blog. my husband was a commander in Tom's Squadron. Tom was attached to my husband's troop the day he was shot. he was less than a month away from coming home. it was horrible and still is.
I like reading your blog.Have fun in Italy.

Julia