Jun 19, 2008

Lonely Ranger "Wife"


I enjoy talking to some of the guys who have gotten recycled or have been dropped from Ranger School. I like to hear their stories, but one common thing that I usually pick up on is their description of their classmates and themselves. When I hear these stories, a common type of Phrase usually will pop up in the conversation. I think that it is kind of funny how all of the guys in Ranger School describe themselves with an adjective before Ranger when talking about their feelings. Like for instance if they were hungry, they say "Hungry Ranger". If they see someone falling asleep they say "Sleepy Ranger". If they are mad, "Angry Ranger" and so on. It is kind of an endearing phrase when you hear them describe oneanother in such a way but at the same time, it illustrates their inability (or unwillingness) to talk about their feelings to eachother.

It seems like this common type of language/phrase helps them to convey their feelings to eachother. I know that it is difficult for guys to talk about their feelings, but this just cracks me up. They seriously use only one word to describe how the school is effecting them. Obviously this extreme situation causes many feelings and stresses, but these guys limit their expression to one word adjectives to describe what is going on with them.

I guess that I want to be a part of this cool club too. I have decided that I am a "Lonely Ranger" (wife). I probably have not earned the right to use this phrase, but I'm going to anyway. I have't endured what these Rangers have, but I have had my share of feelings throughout this class too. Hopefully this will all be over soon and I will be a "Happy Ranger" wife from now on!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meghan, love your blog. Reamer has 9 day Ranger FTX in Florida starting tomorrow...after that its all recovery and outprocessing. Love you, COL DAD

A Woman said...

We can form the "Lonely Ranger Wives Club" and pick funny colors to wear like the old ladies' Red Hat Society. Maybe since we're Army wives we can wear camo and carry rifles. :P

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! I am soooo proud of Reamer! He's the ultimate Army Hubby! I am blessed to have you in my life!

Jenny Bruman said...

Meghan, how did you get in touch with the guys who got recycled or dropped? My ranger just started over a week ago..